Content marketing works, and marketers have hopped on the bandwagon. For example, as far back as 2014 Kraft Foods measured a 4X better ROI through content marketing than through traditional advertising. And today it’s results like these that are driving brands to create more content than ever before. Some estimates show a 300% increase year over year in content creation.
Marketing organizations continue to scale and accelerate the publication and distribution of content across channels. While some brands that truly understand the customer journey are seeing great success, overall consumer engagement with the influx of content remains flat. In fact, an estimated 70% of the content generated by marketing function never gets used. And when you look at content performance, experts have found that only 5% of branded content created garner 90% of the engagement via views, clicks and social shares. Said another way, that means that 95% of your content does not contribute to a lot of anything.
These findings indicate that marketers are spending more time and resources trying to produce compelling content, but more often than not their efforts are wasted because they don’t know which content drives engagement and action. Essentially, marketers need a better way to understand the characteristics of content that drives results. At OneSpot, we’re taking a new approach to give marketers insights on audience engagement and conversion across content themes, topics, types and sources. We call this level of deep content analytics Active Content Intelligence.
Active Content Intelligence: A Deep Dive Into Content Performance
To make more effective decisions on future content strategy development plans, marketers need to understand how content influences a customer action. Each piece of content has a set of unique characteristics that contribute to its performance. Active Content Intelligence helps marketers understand those characteristics at both the page and topic level.
Active Content Intelligence looks at content performance across four metrics:
- Views – This equates to your website traffic
- Engaged views – A viewer that scrolls more than 25% of the page and spends more than 30 seconds on that page
- Recirculation rate – The rate at which that visitor goes to a second piece of content
- Conversion action rate – The rate at which that visitor takes an important action, such as register for a newsletter or clicks on a ‘buy now’ button.
Based on this data set, marketers can determine:
- Current high performing topics to develop more content in
- Adjacent topics or new areas to develop content in
- Which channels are more or least effective for content engagement
- Which topics attract exceptionally high or low interest
- Which content characteristics, such as topic, type or source, are particularly effective at driving content success
These insights give marketers a content-first view into which parts of their content strategy are performing well, along with actionable recommendations on how to seize opportunities for improvement in order to increase audience reach and engagement.
The Formula for Active Content Intelligence
OneSpot’s content individualization platform makes Active Content Intelligence possible by providing a normalized view of how content is performing based on the characteristics of the content itself. Here’s a quick look at how Active Content Intelligence works to uncover the drivers of true audience engagement:
- Semantic topic identification: Our platform distills semantic topics from both text and images and then connects those topics to content engagement metrics—views, engaged views, recirculation rate and conversion KPIs. Brands can use these metrics to evaluate how both the content and topics perform across channels.
- Quality scoring: We create a weighted score for every piece of content and topic based on the four ingredients above, with the weighting tilted towards recirculation and conversion. Brands can easily compare content performance against site goals, and see how topics are generating engagement across different audiences and traffic sources.
- Industry expertise: OneSpot’s roster of industry experts brings you the findings from veteran content strategists with deep experience pioneering effective methods of measuring content performance. These analytics specialists produce and hand-deliver the insights and strategic implications derived by Active Content Intelligence.
As a result of Active Content Intelligence, customers get a deeper level of understanding about which topics are resonating, how individual pieces of content are driving conversion actions, and opportunities for strategic SEO and content development improvements. To learn more about our new Active Content Intelligence offering, contact us.
David is Chief Strategy Officer at OneSpot.